GSF Activists Released from Israel: What Comes Next?

Nine Indonesian citizens, volunteers with the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, who had been detained by the Israeli military, have now been successfully released and are in the process of being repatriated to Indonesia.

Advertisements

The initial news of their release was first reported by the Palestinian legal aid organization, Adalah, bringing a wave of relief to their anxious families and the Indonesian government alike.

Foreign Minister Sugiono formally confirmed the development on Thursday, May 21, expressing profound gratitude. “The Government of Indonesia thankfully announces that nine Indonesian citizens, who were arrested by the Israeli military during the interception of a vessel and the detention of volunteers participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0, are currently en route from Israeli territory to Istanbul, Turkey, and will soon continue their journey back to their homeland,” Sugiono stated, outlining the immediate next steps for their return.

Sugiono further commended the Government of Turkey for its crucial role in facilitating the process. “The Government of Indonesia extends its deepest appreciation to the Government of Turkey for its active role and full support in facilitating this repatriation process,” he added, highlighting the international cooperation involved.

Currently, the nine Indonesian volunteers are safely in Turkey, awaiting the final arrangements for their return to Indonesia.

Advertisements

Henny Hamidah, Director of Citizen Protection at the Foreign Ministry, reiterated on Thursday, May 21, that while the exact timing for their return home from Istanbul is still being finalized, their repatriation will undoubtedly proceed swiftly once all procedures are complete.

The news of the volunteers’ release was met with immense joy by their families. Sutrawati Kaharuddin (52), the mother of activist Andi Angga Prasadewa, shared her relief, confirming she had been informed of her son’s freedom by both GSF and Rumah Zakat, the organization he works for.

Alhamdulillah, I received the news yesterday. My son has returned, he has been deported to Turkey, and is currently in Turkey,” Sutrawati told Kumparan on Friday, May 22 evening, her voice filled with emotion. A heartfelt video call between Angga and his family soon followed, reconnecting them after a period of distressing uncertainty.

During a brief communication with his mother, Angga recounted the harrowing experience of intimidation and physical violence he endured while in Israeli detention.

“According to my son’s account earlier, he said that he did experience intimidation there and certainly physical violence. There were some minor bruises on his body,” Sutrawati revealed, shedding light on the harsh conditions the volunteers faced.

Fortunately, Angga’s condition is now reported to be stable and healthy following a medical examination in Turkey. Sutrawati confirmed she had communicated with her son twice – a brief three-minute call upon his arrival from the plane, followed by a ten-minute conversation the next morning. “My son is healthy overall. Although there are some minor bruises on his body, thank God he is fine,” she added, reassured by his improving health.

Angga’s family also extended their heartfelt thanks to all who contributed to securing his release and that of the other Indonesian citizens. Andi Hamza, Angga’s father, expressed profound gratitude: “I personally am very grateful because the state was truly serious in handling the release of our son and other Indonesian citizens. Thank you to Mr. President Prabowo and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the press, and everyone who contributed to this release process.”

Accounts of Alleged Torture Emerge

Further disturbing details have emerged regarding the treatment of the volunteers. Maimon Herawati, a member of the GSF Steering Committee and Chairman of Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI), documented the conditions of the Indonesian citizens shortly after their release from Israel. Several volunteers shared shocking testimonies of the torture and abuse they allegedly suffered.

In a video recording received on Friday, May 22, Maimon asked one volunteer, “What happened to Hendro?” The individual, identified as Hendro, then detailed his ordeal: “I was punched, electrocuted twice, kicked twice, once on the shoulder, complete.”

Maimon then inquired about another volunteer, “What about Asad?” The man in the video responded starkly, “Punched, stomped.”

Maimon elaborated on the severity of the incidents: “There were various kinds of torture, and this could be called a mild situation. Because among the volunteers, some were brought on stretchers, some had to undergo surgery, some had broken legs and arms, and I also heard there were even worse cases.” These accounts paint a grim picture of the conditions experienced by the detainees.

The violence endured by the volunteers was also corroborated by the Indonesian Consul General in Istanbul, Darianto Harsono, whose team provided support and accompaniment to the Indonesian citizens during their stay in Istanbul.

Darianto Harsono confirmed the dire situation in a statement shared via Foreign Minister Sugiono’s official Instagram account on Friday, May 22: “We, the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Istanbul, Alhamdulillah, we are with our 9 brothers who were part of the GSF mission, they are with us in good health. Although some of them experienced physical violence, being kicked, punched, electrocuted.”

Foreign Minister Sugiono Condemns Torture

Responding to the harrowing testimonies, Foreign Minister Sugiono issued a strong condemnation of the torture allegedly inflicted by Israel on the nine Indonesian activists of the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0.

“Indonesia strongly condemns the acts of torture perpetrated by Israel against Indonesian citizens during their detention,” Sugiono declared in an official statement posted on his Instagram account on Friday, May 22 morning. His remarks underscored the gravity of the accusations and Indonesia’s firm stance.

He further stressed the violation of international norms: “Indonesia reiterates that all forms of inhumane treatment against Global Sumud Flotilla volunteers by the Israeli military constitute a violation of international law and are contrary to humanitarian principles.” This statement emphasized the broader implications of such actions.

Sugiono added that the nine Indonesian citizens safely arrived in Turkey on Thursday, May 21, after their departure from Israel. They are currently undergoing thorough medical examinations to ensure their well-being before their final return to Indonesia.

“The Government of Indonesia is currently coordinating with relevant parties to ensure the smooth repatriation process for all Indonesian citizens to their homeland so that they can return safely and as soon as possible,” Sugiono concluded, assuring the public of the government’s continued commitment to their safe return.

Summary

Nine Indonesian volunteers from the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, previously detained by the Israeli military, have been successfully released and are currently in Turkey. Foreign Minister Sugiono confirmed their release on May 21 and thanked the Government of Turkey for its crucial role in facilitating their repatriation to Indonesia. Their families have expressed profound relief upon hearing the news of their freedom and imminent return home.

However, disturbing accounts of alleged torture and physical violence endured during Israeli detention have emerged from the volunteers. One activist, Angga, recounted experiencing intimidation and minor bruises, while others detailed being punched, kicked, and electrocuted. Foreign Minister Sugiono strongly condemned these acts as violations of international law and humanitarian principles, reiterating Indonesia’s commitment to ensuring the safe and swift return of all citizens after medical examinations.

Advertisements